Thursday, October 15, 2009

Restless @ 5:00am

As you can tell by my title it's 5:00am, and I can't sleep. Mostly because I'm sick, but I have a blog post due tonight and I might as well get something productive done. After class on Monday Professor Singer recommended a book by Thomas Sugrue “The Origins of the Urban Crisis”, which he thought would be helpful in giving me background on the factors that contributed to the riots. While the book deals primarily with Detroit, I believe there are elements from Detroit's urban crisis that are very similar to those that Baltimore experienced. My research thus far has confirmed this thesis: Baltimore's riots were more than just citizens being irresponsible. I believe Baltimore's riots were a dramatic expression of the frustration, and fears of this cities black community.

Honestly, my only goals this week are simple get over this cold, and get a copy of Segrues book.

2 comments:

  1. Farron, have you tried to access Special Collections from the Langsdale Library? I have seen there lots of good pictures and materials. Maybe you should try that. FEEL BETTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara
    Thanks I feel a million time better (two weeks later) :). Yeah, I have tried the Special Collections, I've found a lot of great information too. I'm making progress slowly buy surely.

    ReplyDelete