Monday, November 2, 2009

A Melting Pot of Ideas

My two goals for this week are to finalize my sources, and begin to write a draft of my paper. If I don't do this now I fear that time will just pass me by, so I need to get serious.

Thankfully, I found two really interesting articles about Baltimore, which really shows the range of ideologies that were moving through the Black community during the 1960’s. One article was the transcript of a commencement speech Martin Luther King Jr. made at Morgan State University, and the other was a speech H. Rap Brown made in Cambridge, Maryland. Both men shared the vision of racial equality, and freedom for all. But one man believed in non-violence, and the other believed violence and destruction could be used as a tool. Which man was correct?



BTW I also found this picture, and it really struck a chord with me. I honestly couldn’t stop looking at it. (Image taken from Langsdale Library Special Collections)

No comments:

Post a Comment